Development Blah: Comments

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Alter-Fox

Re: Development Blah: Comments

Postby Alter-Fox » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:18 am

I remember that switch. I think the hallway has a bunch of non-shaker missiles and a cloak?
It works for me in Dosbox and XL.
There are a few switches in the campaign that do nothing but all the ones in that level are supposed to work.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:24 am

Maybe a light at the end of the tunnel with the DLE POG work... it is back to compiling again and less buggy than I expected to start with. I still have a really big checklist to work through before it's "done", but it should be easier going now that the infrastructure supports things like changing texture sizes and editing non-level textures in ways that don't make me paranoid that something is going to explode when I hit "save"... :mrgreen:

Though of course the downside of infrastructure changes is that I am now going to be paranoid about everything else I touched... going to have to do a lot of testing before this is ready for release.

And just today, I found out what is likely now the most common reason people can't run the program: GPUs that don't support OpenGL 2.0. Apparently they are still out there. I'm not terribly enthusiastic about the idea of reinstating the software rendering path though... will have to think about that one. They can always join the bizarrely-large crowd of people using outdated versions of the program I guess.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:19 pm

Sirius wrote:ways that don't make me paranoid that something is going to explode when I hit "save"...

:lolol:
bloort

Postby bloort » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:47 am

I found that dead end tunnel thanks to that real groovy map. I hit a few switches eslewhere in the maze, and when i finally reached that tunnel, the wall was open. Now i'm not sure what that switch does at the end of that tunnel! i love a mystery! I'm back checking out sound issues on D1. I recall downloading 44khz files, but don't remember for what version of descent... was in such a damn hurry to get this all up and running ... lol
bloort

Postby bloort » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:29 am

i remember back in the day, coffee and descent to start the day. if i played more than 45 minutes, i couldn't drive a car because of lack of dimentions, and everything seemed to move funny. think i did that once upon a time on LSD too. descent drunk. or is there a proper term for that warped feeling after a long flight through a level?
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:45 pm

Being able to do lightmaps "offline" would especially help for multiplayer, yes - issues occur if you spend 20 minutes trying to join a game!
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:53 pm

People whos computers need 20 minutes for computing lightmaps for a (rather small) multiplayer level should seriously consider lowering lightmap quality settings to a reasonable value.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:52 am

Oh... uh... yeah. It was mainly co-op where that happened.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:04 am

LOL.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:04 am

:clap:

That will mean that silly "eh, let's just assume all the frames are 100 ms" hack I used on the animation timer won't be necessary anymore. Having everything fully animated in the mine view would be awesome, actually.

Also, thanks for catching those TGA issues, I knew I had to look at that but have been a little... um... slow lately.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:50 am

I guess you have looked into the new code already ... :)

Yeah, animation info contains total time for playing back an entire sequence once and the number of frames, so the correct frame times can be computed (and are being stored in the animation data).

Right now, textures in the mine view are not animated though - that only happens in those auxiliary texture displays like e.g. in the texture alignment tool, or where you can assign custom textures to a robot (because these modules all use the same basic display function).
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:13 pm

I see... I hadn't really looked at how the texture alignment preview did its magic but since it's effectively a tiled 2D image with a quadrilateral mask, I shouldn't be so surprised it was that easy to make it animate :)

The mine view, though... that would be a lot less easy, because you would probably have to have multiple timers running - since different textures have different animation frame lengths. And if the level's large enough, it's probably going to take a long time to redraw, which means that redrawing constantly might be a very bad idea. Hmm... probably not worth it? :mrgreen:
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:29 pm

You would need to constantly redraw the mine view, like in a 3D game renderer. That is something DLE is not doing right now.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:48 pm

I probably had better things to do than read through all the code changes, but... anyway.
https://sourceforge.net/p/d2x-xl/code/H ... er.cpp#l37
I am wondering if that code line (37) does anything or was meant to be removed?
(I guess it does advance the file pointer.)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:46 pm

That line reads an int32 from the data file. The code can be changed to skip 4 bytes in the file instead.

Edit:

Changed and checked in.

Return to “General Discussions”