Custom weapons mod?

Install & setup problems, application questions and other nasty things ;)

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: Custom weapons mod?

Postby karx11erx » Sat May 09, 2015 2:13 am

I need your d2x.ini. The d2x.log seems to suggest that it is broken. Did you read my reply to your bug ticket?
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Mon May 11, 2015 3:09 am

I'm up to level 6 now and 'was' having fun until I keep crashing 3-4 times now ruining my runs. And its not all at the same place either. I haven't got the printlog option turned on but in hindsight I should probably have that on from now on just in case this happens. So next time I feel up to recording yet a fifth time (in a bit of a pissed mood at the game atm), I'll have that on to give you something to look at.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon May 11, 2015 7:25 am

Which program version?
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Mon May 18, 2015 3:19 am

So far, so good. No crashes on 1.18.8 on level 6. Will start level 7 tomorrow or the next day, depends on my schedule. However, I wouldn't count the crashing bug totally gone just yet. More details in the bug ticket on sourceforge. Glad to finally be done with level 6, was getting tired of that level. Hopefully no more crashes and the remainder of the game will be blind.
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Mon May 25, 2015 12:13 am

I've been out of recording lately due to real life. I had only received your messages on Sourceforge after I completed level 9. I basically stopped looking at the automap once I passed the blue door and it went fine with no crashes. So I didn't check if it was still an active bug in the latest version (whatever that happens to be at this time). I'll get around to it eventually. Should I proceed onward in level 10 and beyond or should I go back to level 9 to try and trigger it?
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon May 25, 2015 10:25 am

Well, since I couldn't reproduce it might be a good idea for your to try and trigger that bug. If it doesn't occur for you anymore, I would consider the problem fixed.
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Tue May 26, 2015 9:12 pm

Triggered it again, same reason and place. Updated the bug ticket with the log. Also another note: "That is because lightmap calculation has been improved yesterday. D2X-XL automatically detects such changes and recomputes lightmaps." If that's the case, then why bother including lightmaps with the Enemy Within download since they'd be obsolete by the time someone downloads the latest version? If that was the issue to begin with, we could have saved us both a lot of headaches! lol Guess I'm destined to wait on lightmaps for every level regardless of what I do. :clue:
FinnFann

Postby FinnFann » Tue May 26, 2015 9:36 pm

Retrochallengegamer wrote:Triggered it again, same reason and place. Updated the bug ticket with the log. Also another note: "That is because lightmap calculation has been improved yesterday. D2X-XL automatically detects such changes and recomputes lightmaps." If that's the case, then why bother including lightmaps with the Enemy Within download since they'd be obsolete by the time someone downloads the latest version? If that was the issue to begin with, we could have saved us both a lot of headaches! lol Guess I'm destined to wait on lightmaps for every level regardless of what I do. :clue:

The whole idea of the system, I believe, was for the creator of the map to update the lightmaps whenever they updated the level. That way whenever you downloaded the lastest level you also got the latest lightmap with it. User-generation of constantly updated maps wasn't a consideration as it was on the map developers side to create them. I'm actually generating some high/standard lightmaps for Descent 1 and 2's campaigns so they'll be easily obtainable.

If I knew some popular maps I could probably generate lightmaps for those at a steady rate as well (assuming they're not updated every day/week) seeing as I have an i7 laptop on the side, and if the map makers aren't willing to generate them for easy of use SOMEONE has to >:C *puffs up chest*
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue May 26, 2015 10:10 pm

Well, the idea was to always have proper lightmaps for the level version you are playing, be it the level was changed, or lightmap calculation was changed. D2X-XL therefore both keeps track of level properties in a level's lightmap files and of a lightmap version number.

If I find flaws in lightmap calculation, I will increase the lightmap version number, resulting in lightmaps being recomputed whereever older lightmaps are found.

Lightmap version changes very rarely, so while this may be a bit annoying right now, this usually isn't an issue.

I am also currently working on something that will hopefully speed up lightmap calculation (no promises though).
FinnFann

Postby FinnFann » Tue May 26, 2015 10:16 pm

karx11erx wrote:Well, the idea was to always have proper lightmaps for the level version you are playing, be it the level was changed, or lightmap calculation was changed. D2X-XL therefore both keeps track of level properties in a level's lightmap files and of a lightmap version number.

If I find flaws in lightmap calculation, I will increase the lightmap version number, resulting in lightmaps being recomputed whereever older lightmaps are found.

Lightmap version changes very rarely, so while this may be a bit annoying right now, this usually isn't an issue.

I am also currently working on something that will hopefully speed up lightmap calculation (no promises though).

Hopefully you can manage it :P Best/High feels like I'm trying to calculate the next prime number.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue May 26, 2015 10:19 pm

High/Standard is good enough.

I am just trying to utilize an octree for visibility checking/culling, and I am pretty excited to see how that will turn out.
FinnFann

Postby FinnFann » Tue May 26, 2015 10:45 pm

karx11erx wrote:High/Standard is good enough.

I am just trying to utilize an octree for visibility checking/culling, and I am pretty excited to see how that will turn out.

Yeah I settled on high/standard since it's a sane time amount for say all of descent 1. Let me know when you have improvements to test ;P
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Tue May 26, 2015 10:55 pm

Well, another issue with that custom weapons mod. Last known version to have it work: 1.18.13. The Plasma Cannon no longer homes in on enemies like it used to. Now its a simple, weaker, plasma cannon. In terms of the overall weapons mod, its useless and lost its utility with the lack of homing. Made a bug ticket for it, not sure if you can do anything about it. But it seems odd that it would lose its homing factor.

EDIT: Or...I would have made a bug ticket for it, but this is the 10th time now Sourceforge is giving me this error:
"Oops, looks like something went wrong.

For updates, follow us on twitter or check the status dashboard. While we fix the issue checkout Slashdot. "

EDIT DOS: Also, what is this? I have no idea what caused it or how it happened. But now there is a floating, translucent puff ball inside the level. It can't be interacted with in any way.
FinnFann

Postby FinnFann » Tue May 26, 2015 11:04 pm

Retrochallengegamer wrote:Well, another issue with that custom weapons mod. Last known version to have it work: 1.18.13. The Plasma Cannon no longer homes in on enemies like it used to. Now its a simple, weaker, plasma cannon. In terms of the overall weapons mod, its useless and lost its utility with the lack of homing. Made a bug ticket for it, not sure if you can do anything about it. But it seems odd that it would lose its homing factor.

EDIT: Or...I would have made a bug ticket for it, but this is the 10th time now Sourceforge is giving me this error:
"Oops, looks like something went wrong.

For updates, follow us on twitter or check the status dashboard. While we fix the issue checkout Slashdot. "

EDIT DOS: Also, what is this? I have no idea what caused it or how it happened. But now there is a floating, translucent puff ball inside the level. It can't be interacted with in any way.

Don't worry your bug got made...and made...and made. There's two duplicates of it thus far so don't try entering it anymore X3 We've got it.

EDIT:
Nice Hud by the way.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Wed May 27, 2015 4:18 am

Retrochallengegamer wrote:EDIT DOS: Also, what is this? I have no idea what caused it or how it happened. But now there is a floating, translucent puff ball inside the level. It can't be interacted with in any way.

I've seen that happen in Rebirth and D2X-XL (many versions back, don't worry) but never in DOS... I guess it's a bug in the original code where sometimes a weapon shot sticks in the air or on a wall. It's usually just the omega that's prone to it, but very occasionally phoenix does it too.
If it's the actual shot it becomes like a mine, you can run into it and take damage. This looks like it's an omega cannon impact though, so the shot's already gone.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce

Return to “D2X-XL Help”