How do you get mini-reactors to fire?

Everything around the Descent level editor

Moderators: Frustikus, Aus-RED-5

Alter-Fox

How do you get mini-reactors to fire?

Postby Alter-Fox » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:33 pm

Whenever I put a mini-reactor into any of my levels, it doesn't do anything. It's supposed to fire the reactor shot, but it doesn't. So what do I have to do to get the mini reactor to fire? I've seen it done, I just can't figure out how to do it myself.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:52 pm

i've wondered this as well. It sometimes fires for me, other times, it doesn't...

That's why i typically don't use them.
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:58 pm

I found out why:

Minireactors use robot AI, not reactor AI

That means they can only fire in one direction and thats within a 90 degree angle forward. You can allow them to turn to face you but they look stupid when they pivot away from their foundation or fly away

To avoid this problem just put your mini reactors at the end of hallways so you cannot get behind them and make sure they face the hallway.

Check out the system 6: Secret level in D2 for an example on how to use minireactors.

I still use minireactors in my mission, they make nice sentry guns, I simply moved them to a more suitable location.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:07 am

They also seemed to have some kind of "special case" rule that prevented them from being subject to mass-based effects. Although actually I think I recall Entropy 2 pulling that off as well, but I never found out how. Regardless, you don't need to in D2X-XL; "static" does the job just fine.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:51 am

Yokelassence wrote:I found out why:

Minireactors use robot AI, not reactor AI

That means they can only fire in one direction and thats within a 90 degree angle forward. You can allow them to turn to face you but they look stupid when they pivot away from their foundation or fly away

To avoid this problem just put your mini reactors at the end of hallways so you cannot get behind them and make sure they face the hallway.

Check out the system 6: Secret level in D2 for an example on how to use minireactors.

I still use minireactors in my mission, they make nice sentry guns, I simply moved them to a more suitable location.

Thanks! I just figured out (and implemented) how to get them to fire in two directions (I put two on top of each other, one facing in each direction, and occupying the exact same space. I tested it, and it didn't crash the game.)
beware of ounce
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:58 am

Wouldnt that make them twice as strong?

They would also explode twice :? unless the reactors get hit simultanously and die simultanously
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:24 am

You theoretically could put an object trigger on each that kills the other. Provided that doesn't cause an infinite loop.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:14 am

Once one is destroyed, it only takes a few hits to kill the other, and the effect is pretty cool.

BTW - I've already found out that a trigger will ignore a target that doesn't exist.
beware of ounce
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:11 am

Sirius wrote:You theoretically could put an object trigger on each that kills the other. Provided that doesn't cause an infinite loop.

Silly question...How do you get this to work?

(tried it, but must be doing it wrong)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:47 am

Alter-Fox wrote:Once one is destroyed, it only takes a few hits to kill the other, and the effect is pretty cool.

BTW - I've already found out that a trigger will ignore a target that doesn't exist.

Shouldn't happen. "On death" object triggers get deactivated when triggered, as far as I remember. If not, post a bug report and I will change that.

Return to “DLE-XP Help”