PYRO GX - CODENAME: AVENGER(JoFFa's beastular pyro)

Projects around retexturing and remodeling Descent

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:43 am

Joffa,

this is a game. Not reality. Not the space shuttle, or the Mission To Mars.

D2X-XL will not be able to handle these many thrusters.
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:28 pm

I did not ittend it to. Its a high poly model. There will be low poly - were will be one thruster and many things reduced to match what you allowed. Switchable weapons and thrusters. I will pm to you soon as i have a query on your thought about my ideas on weapon switch.

And besides - wouldn't anyone want for Descent to have better textures and models?
EDIT: Ahem..the progress. Well i made a hires now i'm optimizing it to make a skin for low res model. and i'm figuring out hotw to use projec modifier to project hires model texture maps to lowres. stay tuned.

Yup!

I figured. The translation textures to low poly - is underway.

Update.

Well its a real killer. I can drammatically reduce polycount while still have a decent details.

I also think that Projection mapping - while creating the templates would allow the paint jobs to be made. for each ship. that gives me an idea - what if in the multiplayer game the skin of the opponent shipa would allways upload to the user so he would see skin of the opponent which opponent created?

Err...Question to Karx! :) Can i make a model of the ship for the shadow of the ship?If yes - were it can be placed for mod - and what should its name be?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Workflow so far. To imagine the amount of polys in a final model - multiply by 2.
Dont worry - it'll be as close to max - yet optimal - as i can do it.es - were it can be placed for mod - and what should its name be?
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:44 pm

Right now you cannot make a lowres model for the shadow. Shadowing in D2X-XL doesn't work right anyway, so I wouldn't bother doing anything here.
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:28 am

Got it. Have you disabled it as a feature?
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:07 am

Ok...Long time no update...Hmm...

well, I've finished the main part of the Avenger model, so to speak... All that remains to be done is "horns" and quad laser guns.

I'm really not glad with texture resolution (as its only one 512by512 map) so I'm going to divide model into chunks and apply a 512x512 texture to each and it will really increase details. also i have to edit an initial texture file so i could control the hues easily. But its for the future. I guess i'll have to test it in a game to see whats coming..:)

For now enjoy.

You havent seen a blue one yet so here goes..:)

Oh yeah! Its a 1456 polys so far...
Red_5

Postby Red_5 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:15 am

Very Decepticon-esque :D
Regards from Red_5

MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz dual-core Intel i5 processor
320GB 5400-rpm hard drive
Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB DDR3 SDRAM
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 memory
7 Beautiful Hours of Battery
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:23 am

Hehe..:) Might be..:) Heres a skin - its not arranged but you might figure the result of the painful tech i invented for myself..:)

-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:42 am

Ufff...Well i've done the model and the textures (overal 5 512*512 files)

I'm glad with the level of pixelation of the details now. I'm working on shading of the texture and i'm trying to add the model to the actual game. Stay tuned.

EDIT: Hmm... now thats a problem. I try to replace the Pumo's ship from Kartsal motivation - but it wont be seen by the engine. I wonder what the list of restrictions is and did i have made the model worse somehow then can be acquired by the engine? haven't yet find it on forum. some guys asked for it yes - but I'm still searching.

Model has a 2400 faces and 1900 vertexes I wonde why it wont load and instead loads a default model from the game.

EDIT2: Ok. I figured that if there is a single error or problem in model or in absence of its texture - model wont load and instead the default model will be loaded. Too bad that the problem with model or texture - not allways clear and i didnt find info yet.

TGA file though - i've converted and model been loaded but once. then again d2xxl loads a
default model.

Then ive deleted bin file of the model - it seems its somekind of temp or cashe file of the last model. When i did it - test model been loaded.

Hmm...I managed to convert TGA correctly. I've also made a certain conversion to a model from 3ds using independent converter. But somehow UVW mapping coordinates were damaged. somehow several textures i'm using - cannot be displayed.

EDIT: I've installed Wings3D and managed to load a model there- and it dispalys itself correctly. but wings 3D does not exporting to ASE. Hmmm What are you guys using for exporting to ASE?

EDIT: well...Ive tried all i could do. While wings3D shows model correctly with correct UVW the same somehow wont be with 5 textures in a D2xxl but one. D2xxl rather unstable in showing ASE models correctly. Or - the second option that all the editors im using - create such ASE format that D2xxl wont accept it. Bottom line: my efforts led me to no avail...So far.

EDIT: Just after i edited and added the ASE model - and launched the game - it was shown once then - just been replaced by the default ship model regardless that its in the folder of the models.

Any clues from anyone?

PS and one mode thing - does Ctrl+Alt+s(external cam) been disabled?
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:28 am

Hi JoFFa,

an old switch in d2x.ini was reenabled to use the freecam.
-enable_freecam 1

Maybe MB could help you with the avenger. Unfortunately I ´ve no idea what´s going wrong with your model.

Just another question: When will we see your texture set for the Wolf ?
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:20 am

I'm working on it. I have to figure things out for Avenger - Wolf - will be completed a little after. Have to know how to do it to be able to test model.

EDIT: Recently Pumo send me a set of instructions. Right now i renamed maps of a model but still to no avail. the problem is in UVW mapping appearantly.

EDIT: Well... I made an ASE model out of MAx - and its completely BLACK. Have no idea why that is.

there is no d2x.ini file. the re is d2x-default.ini file and no such key there..

As you can see here - the shading of the pyro - is not available. UVW mapping data corrupt somehow.

EDIT: Using MB wolf model - i figured what allows shading. It seems that material shading can be set in MAX and after it can be proccesed by the converter to ASE.

I also wonder if model should be convex?

I created 5 spheres aplied to each a material - and they were shown just fine. Somehow - i cannot see the difference between my model structure and spheres but of its non convexity and non weldness of the vertices. But "wolf" model structure has the same "flaws"(?) yet it shows correctly.
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:36 pm

-JoFFa- wrote: there is no d2x.ini file. the re is d2x-default.ini file and no such key there...

Just add that command line (enable freecam) in your d2x-default.ini. ANd use 1.15.124 !
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:49 pm

A better option is to make a plain text file called d2x.ini in your config folder, copy the contents of d2x-default.ini into it, and then modify the command-line stuff in d2x.ini. It seems D2X-XL reads preferentially from a file called d2x.ini, but any critical information that's not in there will get read out of d2x-default.ini. This also prevents your command-line setting from being overwritten whenever you update the game -- since the installation does not include a file called d2x.ini.
This is how I do it (as I use a lot of custom command-line settings).
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:25 am

Woot! I made it!

Ok. Its a milestone right here. I figured the problem - and it was in model appearantly. In max wnen you edit some geometry - its kinda cashes the operations done over it or so - anyway the model contains somekind of a bug - if it was numereous times dimided and combined exploded and welded again and so on. So all those "bugs" can be "cured" via export to old school format and importing that format back again. So there was it - i've exported and imported mesh and there you have it - it reads correctly when exported to ase from max.

free cam wont work in 1.15.124 even (i wonder why it was removed as a feature in the first place.)

Here is a screen from the back. the best i could do with the cam feature disabled.
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:46 pm

It was not removed. You just need to add '-enable_freecam 1' to your d2x.ini.

Anyway, the ship looks awesome! It's very cool! :thumb:
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 3.4 GHz (3.9 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:10 pm

Yup i know, thanks..:) but the freecam still not working i tell you.

Return to “D2X-XL Retexturing & Remodeling Projects”